Nieuws:

Nu in MSM 244 BAAN: Boulevard du Fort

Hoofdmenu

Resurrecting a Br44

Gestart door ebaykal, 28 mei 2015, 09:16:46 AM

ebaykal

Hi Guys,

I would like to share one of my works with you hopping it might trigger someones urge to do the same.

We all have, one way or another, a derelict , none working loco stashed somewhere in our shelves that we can't dare to throw away.

I had one; a Roco Br44 , non working with a  dead motor, loose broken parts etc..... in this situation;

Here is what I am going to do with it;

Started off with the wheels. I hate the large ugly flanges that all European loco's have so I lathe turned each one into RP-25

Next, the backhead;

.....painting into this; the firebox area where the cardanshaft goes thru will be sealed,

Next step is to tone down the reds of the chassis,under frame and the wheel sets, giving them a greasy look. For that I used Revell karminrot matte blending it with a touch of burnt umber and flat black;

...moving on to weathering the cylinders;

....and the sidewalks, I used a graphite pencil to bring out the effects of the chequers for a more metalic look;

the rods were coated with Tamiya gun metal;

...and the wheel inner flanges blackened;

...quartering the wheelsets drained the life out of me;

moving on to the body now;

one notice to the owners of ROCO Br44, when stripped you will see two grills below the body, an exact fit for a double mini esu loudspeaker ;)

Body repainted with flat black with a mixture of burnt umber and coated with matte varnish ready for powdering. All piping painted with gun metal and ready to be mounted.

the valence and interior decorated;

..the driver installed and firebox area covered;

...and body powdered leaving the last touches to the end;

....moving on to the tender next

Erkut
If there ain't any steam loco's in heaven then I ain't goin

Stedahult

Mvh. Steef

ebaykal

...continuing with the tender;

Painted with flat black with a tiny amount of burn't umber;

Since we are not using the cardanshaft sealed the area and added coal;

44's were hard working horses I want to give a battered look therefore took my Bragdon powders;

....and separeted them, the far left being diluted glue;

my goal is to make a rusty spot, I dab the appropriate powders into the diluted glue and apply with a brush;

......don't let the appearance scare you, move on with downwards strokes to have it blend in;

I use a sharp end of a tweezer to make tiny holes;

and leave it to dry for the final touch;

hereis how she looks at the end;

....and moving on to prepare its final resting ground;

Erkut

bva25j

wouuuh .... ik heb veel te leren .... de rust ... Wich color did you use for the rust on the cylinders ?

ebaykal

Citaat van: bva25j op 28 mei 2015, 12:29:19 PM
wouuuh .... ik heb veel te leren .... de rust ... Wich color did you use for the rust on the cylinders ?

It's this one; Bragdon Powders

Erkut

ebaykal

The idea is to make a showcase rack.

We need a rail and a track bed;

After securing the rail on the bed with glue I sprayed it with dark brown paint;

...did the side details and sealed all with Dullcoat;

Choice of balast, a mini showel and a credit card is what you need....

After laying the balast here is where the function of the credit card comes in: to gently squeez the ballast for an evenly look
appearance;

...after the usual method of spraying with water and glueing the balast we take it out to the garden to be baked under the sun;

once its dry rock hard I darkened the color of the balast;

glued on to the showcase stand first layer of scenics; grass applied;

...then flocs and bushes;

...then flowers;

..next the final

Erkut

ebaykal

Yes, it took me 27 days to resurrect my derlic Br44. Now it sits on my office desk and I enjoy looking at it everyday...so do friends.

Enjoy;

Hope I have urged someone to have a go.

Thanks for watching

Erkut

ps: there is one mistake on the photos. I realized after taking them, The witte deflectors are upside down , sorry.

Michael

Een prachtig resultaat kunnen we allemaal wat van leren. Hartelijk dank voor het delen van de foto's.
Mvg,
Michaël

DCC, Lissy,Lijn154

reeves

Hello Erkut,

How dit you do the chalk traces on the tender, the traces that the water leve behind when filling the tender with water?

Very nice done sir!!

Tom

Gerolf

Groeten uit "Marche-en-Bières"   ** Modelspoor is plezant **   TPIII-H0-DC-Zelfbouw

ebaykal

Citaat van: reeves op 28 mei 2015, 19:06:04 PM
Hello Erkut,

How dit you do the chalk traces on the tender, the traces that the water leve behind when filling the tender with water?

Very nice done sir!!

Tom

Hi Tom,

I use Rembrandt pastel chalks, unlike the Bragdon powders these are a bit more oily.

I sand file them to obtain the powder and apply with downward strokes with a flat brush:

Erkut

ebaykal

...here is another example; water streaks and rusted body:

Erkut

SirGresley

Great, just the real thing!!
Leef niet te materialistisch, want alle bezit is ballast. Dalai Lama

OlivierV

Very well done!

Actually it's a bit sad that you can't run this loco on a layout, it sure would be an eyecatcher.
- Verkoper van kwalitatief gezever en ander gelul.
- H0 - 2-rail DCC - Flickr. - Bouw AMSAC Modulebaan